Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Operation F-Windows Part Two

UbuntuThe "family" file server that was running Windows 2003 Server on an IDEQ-210B mini computer is now Ubuntu Linux 6.06 LTS on the same computer plus an additional 3-Com Gigabit NIC and 400GB Seagate SATA drive to replace the 200GB Seagate PATA.

The conversion was fairly straight forward. I installed the server image using the LAMP option, used a post-install script to update /etc/apt/sources.list, install all additional software, upgrade existing software and apply fixes, then I manually set up Samba. I'm putting the finishing touches on the firewall before I open the machine up to incoming connections from the Internet. All LAN traffic is isolated on the GB NIC while traffic coming from the Internet (and going to it) is restricted to the on-board 10/100 NIC.

I installed the Fluxbox window manager so I can use the mySQL administrator and I am considering the installation of VMWare Virtual Server to isolate various pieces on virtual machines; perhaps even a Windows 2000 Server just for nostalgia or if I want to run Windows programs without having to deal with Wine.

I have to say that I'm happy with the outcome so far. The next big test, really big test, is to see if Ubuntu desktop is good enough for my parents who are looking to step out of the Windows 98SE/dialup world into Yahoo! DSL - which is claiming to require Windows XP. I asked if they wanted to try Linux before plopping down $80 on some version of XP, which makes sense. If it doesn't work, spend the money but if it does, spend that money on yourselves for raising such a fine, well adjusted young man (yes, it's my brother, but that's beside the point).

No comments: