Monday, August 21, 2006

New low point in correctness

from "Tom and Jerry" smoking scenes to be cut after complaint : Reuters

A channel airing the cartoons has agreed to cut scenes that glamorize smoking after British media regulator Ofcom received a complaint from a viewer who took offence at two episodes.

In the first, "Texas Tom," the hapless cat Tom tries to impress a feline female by rolling a cigarette, lighting it and smoking it with one hand. In the second, "Tennis Chumps," Tom's opponent in a match smokes a large cigar.

I grew up watching Bugs Bunny and Tom and Jerry cartoons (largely unedited) and as I am nearing the big four-oh I can't help but get sickened by such blatant sissification of the human race. I don't smoke. I'm pretty damned sure I can make my own decisions about smoking without some British wuss's input. What's really sad is the Tom and Jerry cartoons have already been butchered to make them ethically, racially, socially and just about everyally correct that I get offended every time I see them. I remember every missing scene. "Didn't Bugs shoot Yosemite Sam in the head, there?"

Ugly...

No comments: