Sunday, October 23, 2005

"2 Fast 2 Furious" 2 annoying

I watched a DVD the other day with the missus, "2 Fast 2 Furious", a rental the kid selected. Wow, DVD's are starting to become annoying. The "2 Fast 2 Furious" DVD was by far the most annoying of the all. This DVD forces you to sit through three or four previews (I was too furious to remember) before you get to the copyright warning, which sits for the mandatory 15-30 seconds. Then you have to pick your car color from a menu before you get to the next menu. To play the actual movie you have to sit through another ten to fifteen seconds of unnecessary cut scenes and fancy menu transitions.

What is this? Why, why, why

I want to watch a movie, not be forced to sit through previews for movies I'll never watch. That's why I got the DVD, so I don't have to sit through six to eight previews at the damned theater. I'm just glad this wasn't a DVD that I have purchased

Regarding DVD content:

  1. if a DVD is going to have previews either a) if you are going to jam them in front of the movie then allow the viewer to fast forward or go directly to the menu; b) place the previews on the menu and allow the viewer to select them if he or she wishes to.
  2. keep the animation on the menus to a minimum; go from element to element instead of forcing the viewer to sit through six to ten seconds of animated transitions
  3. make the menus fairly easy to view, navigate and read – I hate having to go down, down, down, down, down, right to get to the next menu page; can't we simply have a linear up-and-down menu, or how about numbers?
  4. how about bypassing the menu altogether – assume that if the viewer puts a DVD in the player they want to watch the movie and if they want the menu to view extras take them there after the movie or let them press the menu button.

One thing I am curious about; what to people think about putting the full screen version on the flip side of the wide-screen version. I like this idea for two reasons:

  1. it eliminates the confusion and innocent ignorance for gift givers; some who might not know the difference between the two
  2. I have a wide screen projection television in my room and picture-in-picture on my LCD monitor (so I can watch stuff while programming or writing in my blog) which looks much better with full-screen movies

By the way, the movie was average – not worth a rental but not so painful that it required therapy afterwards.

No comments: