Friday, August 19, 2005

The D-Link DGL-4300 wireless gaming router

I received my replacement wireless router yesterday night. The D-Link DGL-4300 wireless "gaming" router is a gigabit Ethernet switch, router, firewall and wireless access point with QoS (called "Gamefuel Technology", considers bit torrent and VoIP as "games"). Initial impressions:

The Good

  • The wired connections are stable and seem to be getting better throughput.
  • I can get to my cable modem diagnostics again (couldn't with the Buffalo router it replaced)

The Bad

  • Wireless is definitely not as good as the Buffalo WRT-G54 it replaced, it might need some tuning and I'm using WPA instead of WEP now but the signal does not reach into the upstairs bedroom and behind a door in my bathroom.
  • It is expensive; which is hard to justify for a lot of people
  • The "Gamefuel" (i.e. QoS) technical details are limited and there is very little practical information from D-Link or the Internet. It will be more experimentation than anything else
  • I haven't been able to get remote desktop via virtual port to work

The QoS section I still need to do more research on. But I was considering the following priorities from highest to lowest:

  1. HTTP, i.e. normal web surfing
  2. Mail
  3. Instant messengers
  4. Games
  5. All unmapped outbound traffic
  6. Voice applications (used for games) and web cams
  7. Usenet
  8. Usenet to road runner
  9. File sharing applications

I'm sure my kid wants his games at the top of the chart, but he is already monopolizing the majority of bandwidth if I'm not using bit torrent to share Linux distributions or Autopatcher.

More to come, I have a weekend to play with things.

No comments: