Tuesday, August 23, 2005

D-Link DGL-4300 08/23 updates...

Some updates...
  • Wireless is still not as good as the Buffalo router. At the farthest point from the router where wireless access is still reasonable (i.e. not in the bedroom closet behind a wall of women's shoes), I am getting 14-28 Mbps stable. With the Buffalo router, I was getting 28-54 Mbps with occasional drops (resets, drops and drop-off to "poor"). However, wireless from the couch in front of the big screen was perfectly stable. Using WPA-Personal with a static IP address via DHCP and no wireless MAC filtering. I'm working on MAC filtering and dynamic IP addresses.
  • It's still expensive, nothing I can do about that.
  • "Gamefuel" has been turned on in "automatic" mode with the 384Kbps my service provide allows. To test things I started up five bit torrent downloads/seeds; a Linux .iso distribution, Autopatcher XP, a popular TV show, and two "adult content" files (a good test, I hope). My kid starting playing Call of Duty or Battlefield 2 with voice chat. I watched web surfing speeds from another computer. Speeds were sluggish with the torrents at 25KBps; the kid had no complaints. I backed off the torrents to 20KBps, then 15KBps. At 15KBps the download speeds were only slightly different than a network without any additional outbound traffic. Delays were still noticeable, but acceptable. The torrents were averaging about 12KBps out at the 15KBps setting, sometimes slower. I might try some manual settings for the game voice chat to lower it's priority and decrease all uploads to their lowest levels. I theory, that should give people using the home network priority while still giving the game enough bandwidth to hog. File sharing should be highly limited during times when the network is being used but should get plenty of upstream when it isn't. More to come...
  • I got remote desktop to work.

No comments: